The Language Arts Department will promote learning of the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) which have been established “to ensure that all students graduate from high school with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college, career, and life.”
The effective use of language is powerful and when practiced and improved becomes more useful throughout our lives.
It is The Language Art’s goal to imbue in all our students the idea that understanding all forms of literature and equating it to real life, as a result of practiced reading and writing - is not just a school requirement.
- Students learn to understand a variety of literary texts through close reading, sharing cultural heritages, exploring historical periods, and making relevant connections to their own lives and to the world.
- Students develop academic literacy and proficiency in literary, expository, analytical, and argumentative reading and writing that will meet the demands of higher education.
- Students master all steps of the writing process to produce final drafts that are organized, concise, and logical.
- Students develop critical thinking skills in order to synthesize information during class discussions, through research, and through independent projects.
- Students improve communication skill through active engagement in a variety of activities that honor different learning styles.
- Students actively engage in the learning process, both cooperatively and independently, in preparation for college, the workforce, and the global community.
- Provide professional development opportunities for teachers.
- Encourage student responsibility and parent involvement.